Marina, Sequoyah Park

Marina, Sequoyah Park

Monday, July 7, 2014

The Crescent Hotel

Here is the newest sketch in the Stillman and Birn sketchbook of the Crescent Hotel in Eureka Springs, Arkansas.

I have been fascinated with this building ever since I first saw it and had the chance recently to stay overnight. I was up early the next morning and in the back garden by 7am so that I could sketch before returning home.

It was my intention to include some figures and at least a portion of the enormous porches which have a great view of the Ozarks. The sketch represents only a small portion of the actual building.


I started  a quick lay in of the basic shapes with a mechanical pencil and then started drawing with a black Copic Multiliner 0.3. After two hours or so with some way to go on the shading and details I decided to take a reference photo. I was able to finish most of the sketch but the watercolor was added after I returned home with some new M Graham watercolors.

Here is a photo of the drawing only right before the watercolor was added.

The sketch was used on the social media pages of the Crescent Hotel.

Here is a link to their Facebook page,
https://www.facebook.com/crescenthotel

Before the holiday I was also contacted by Stillman and Birn and they want to use the sketch on their social media as well. Very exciting to share my work with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment