Marina, Sequoyah Park

Marina, Sequoyah Park

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Looking for Inspiration Near the Water

My newest sketch subject was found at the Paradise Cove Marina, Sequoyah State Park in Wagoner , Oklahoma the day after Fourth of July.

What struck me about the scene was the contrast, deep shadows of a sunny day against the white boat; and I have a soft spot for sailboats in particular having spent some time on one growing up in Florida.

This is the next to last page in the Stillman and Birn Zeta sketchbook. I really like this smooth paper for a combination of pen and watercolor. The smooth texture allows me to control the surface with the brush strokes when painting and really shows off the cross hatching too. I may have to pick up another of these sketchbooks just for this technique!

I don't have a drawing only for this one because I tried something different this time. I started with painting first, basically painting around my subject and then added the drawing after. I was a little off on my shape but was able to go back in and refine during and after the drawing. This is an approach  based on an assignment for Sketchbook Skool which was to paint the basic shape of the subject quickly (fast) and then go in for the drawing in a more detailed, slow approach. I guess this is a variation of that idea but I still haven't done my homework for that assignment. I guess I should have taken a photo showing the first paint washes only for this. There is always next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment